Saturday, September 06, 2008

A weekend at Shining Rock

By looking at these two slide shows, you probably have realized I'm not the best photographer in the world (I'll leave that to Liv) but here are a few more shots of our camping trip to the Shining Rock Wilderness. I've been there a few times before, once with the girls and the dogs and once when Olivia and Matt began their real courtship...talking all through the night and giggling like middle schoolers!! ugh! But, yes, we are all thankful for that night because they are a happy wonderful couple today :)



This was Chad's first camping trip where he had to carry all his supplies on his back! We hiked in (about 5 miles) on Friday night and got to the Shining Rock Gap about 9:30pm. It was so eerily quiet...we set up camp, made some dinner, and went to bed. We had planned on making the long treacherous trip to Cold Mountain (8 miles one way) the next day, but we were both so tired, we just played around our campsite on Saturday. We found an unbelievable blueberry patch, I beat him in poker, using leaves and tiny pinecones as currency, (I won the rites to his sleeping pad for the night), found a big clearing with an awesome view of the valleys (I'd like to camp there next time), met some new friends, and watched the sunset atop Shining Rock. It was a great relaxing trip...and one we'll probably make again.

4 comments:

Matt&Liv said...

Hey! your videos don't work. boooo! unless it's my computer...

Chad and Allison Nicholson said...

Well, Liv, I think they work...it's possible it is your computer!?!? Anyone else?

Lyndsay said...

nope, i belive the videos don't work... boooo

Laura said...

I'm mad - it says "video no longer available" for me - but that might be b/c I'm in Mexico. But the other one worked, of the family vaca - how fun! I love that you and Chad went camping - what a great time together. Did Bernice go?