Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Big Rig

Rigby Christopher Nicholson is now 8 weeks old...9 weeks on Monday. These last 8 weeks have been a whirlwind!

Rigby was due on 11/1/10, but wasn't ready to make his debut yet, so I was induced on 11/7/10. Labor progressed well and I was ready to push on 11/8/10 around 3:30pm. After about 1hr 40min of pushing, the doctor determined that Rigby was turned funny and was having a difficult time making it down the birth canal...and they recommended a c-section. They whisked us away and at 5:19pm on 11/8 our precious little boy was born!
For the first 2 weeks, Rigby slept like a champ. His eating wasn't as easy as we were finger feeding him waiting for my milk to come in. Then, as we began the 3rd week, Rigby started crying pretty much all the time and was super hard to get calmed to go to sleep. The stress of a crying newborn and my crazy hormones was pretty overwhelming and I was incredibly emotional...wondering how in the world I was going to do this. I even said a couple of times 'I can't do this!' We thought it was colic but in the 3rd week, I finally decided to take Rigby to the Dr....and it turned out he had reflux!
Once getting reflux under control with medication, he developed thrush. Once the thrush was gone he got a cold....and after battling the cold for more than a week (over Christmas) he developed a fever and was admitted to the hospital with RSV. We stayed 3 nights in the hospital while the doctors and nurses monitored his fever, but sadly, there was nothing they could do for the RSV since its a virus. After 2 days of him sleeping almost non stop and losing 9oz of body weight, he started perking up and his fever went away.

That was all just a few days ago and I am happy to say that our little boy is pretty much back to normal now. He's still got a little bit of a cough, but he is his smiley self again and I am enjoying every minute of my full time mom job with him. He is an incredible joy!


Robert and Carmen said...

Oh my goodness - I wish we had known. That doesn't sound like a fun couple of weeks. Glad he is feeling better!

Sara and Kyle said...

Oh my - Yall have had a rough time. He is too cute and I hope he feels better ASAP. Don't worry it gets much easier!